Philippine's Disaster Appeal
The Southern Philippines this week was devastated by Tropical Storm Washi (Sendong). We would like to appeal to anyone who would like to help to consider donating to Unicef's silent Emergencies Fund.
We have made a donation and with the pressures of Christmas expenses we understand it is difficult but we all know that even a small amount can go a long way.
Marnie and Adam xx
Extract from UNICEF Media Release:
21 December 2011 – UNICEF is today delivering water and sanitation supplies to assist in the provision of clean water and sanitation facilities for 15,000 families affected by the devastating floods in southern Philippines.
The agency also today launched an appeal for US$4.2 million to assist families affected by Tropical Storm Washi (local name Sendong) that unleashed devastating flash floods on the southern island of Mindanao. The appeal will support UNICEF’s response in the areas of water and sanitation, health and nutrition, education and child protection.
UNICEF is now turning its focus to the estimated 200,000 children affected by the floods, with 20,000 currently in evacuation centres.
“A lack of clean water and sanitation facilities is of great concern at the present time, as we know children are highly vulnerable to diarrhoeal disease and dehydration. UNICEF is on the ground to support the government’s efforts, and is working round the clock to provide for the many children and families affected. We are also carefully monitoring the safety of children in the very overcrowded evacuation centres,” said Norman Gillespie, Chief Executive of UNICEF Australia.
Additional needs revealed by the rapid assessment are temporary shelter, non-food items such as blankets and mats for sleeping, and child registration and counselling services.
Those wishing to support those affected by the floods, can donate to UNICEF Australia’s Silent Emergencies fund.
How you can help......
If you would like to support UNICEF's work in the Philippines, please donate to our Silent Emergencies fund by clicking on this link: https://secure.unicef.org.au/payments/paynow.php?CID=2270&PS=308&PID=11SILEM&amtTotalIncTax=0&action=combinedcheckoutinitial&sys_skiperr=1&TPL=Y29tYmluZWRjaGVja291dDozMzg5O3plcm9hbW91bnQ6MzM5MjtwYXltZW50c3VtbWFyeTozMzk1O3BheWFwcHJvdmU6MzM5ODtwYXlkZWNsaW5lOjM0MDE7cGF5ZXJyb3I6MzQwNDtDQVNfZGV0YWlsc3Byb21wdDozNDEwO0NBU19kZXRhaWxzY29uZmlybTozNDA3Ow==.
Funds raised will help us to provide emergency healthcare and supplies for affected children, such as therapeutic feeding, first aid kits, vaccinations and 'School-in-a-box' kits for a teachers and up to 80 students. Donate now.
Please join us in helping to ease children's suffering in emergencies.
• $61 can provide 60 packets of high energy biscuits, specially developed for malnourished children.
• $101 can buy a basic water kit sufficient to meet the needs of 10 families.
Guest Blogger - The Y Diary
Y’s top Christmas buys
Accessories really do make lovely Christmas gifts. In between all of our other expenses, an extravagant pair of earrings or a silky scarf are not always things we would buy for ourselves, so they make thoughtful and personal presents (plus you get the ease of online shopping which means you can do it in your PJs without having to battle the Westfield car park!).
To make things even easier, we have listed the y diary’s top 5 picks for perfect gifts!
1. The Patch Paint Scarf is artsy and cute – a smashing summer staple for the new season. Can be worn around your head for some boho chic or in a bow around your neck for frenchy fun! Link: http://www.elkaccessories.com.au/collections/19/summer-apparel-scarves/81/summer-silk-scarves/241/patch-paint-scarf#1257
2. Forget a strand of pearls- for something more fresh and modern, try the 3 row resin necklace. It comes in three gorgeous colour combinations and the best part is, the strands are already connected for you, so there is no way you can get them lost or tangled! Link: http://www.elkaccessories.com.au/collections/21/jewellery/75/summer-resin-jewellery/272/3-row-resin-necklaces#1380
3. Shoes are the ultimate accessory and I am just in love with these orange snakeskin sandals (they also come in dark navy, but punchy colours are super for summer) Providing welcome relief from killer heels, they are just as stylish as stilettos! Link: http://www.elkaccessories.com.au/collections/20/footwear-hats/73/summer-sandals/240/snakeskin-sandal#1251
4. Back to the classics now with this cute cloud cardi- something fun to throw over a corporate dress on casual Fridays or pair with jeans and a singlet for a relaxed weekend look. It might be sweltering now, but you can never have too many wardrobe essentials for the chilly evenings…! Link: http://www.elkaccessories.com.au/collections/12/classics/54/knitwear/174/cloud-cardi#870
5. In your present purchasing frenzy, you mustn’t forget the men in your life (elk haven’t!) Check out the mr elk section for these cute as pie cufflinks. The ‘Elk’ style is perfect for Christmas and looks just like little reindeer! Link: http://www.elkaccessories.com.au/collections/18/mr-elk/83/silver-cufflinks/296/cufflinks#1552
Happy Christmas shopping!
Y is a fashion magazine addict, avid online shopper and serious bargain hunter. The Y diary is a dedication to the best online shopping sites, tips, tricks and trends.
Check out more at the y diary online shopping blog at http://ydiary.tumblr.com/